IUD Insertion (Mirena® or Paraguard®) POST-CARE INSTRUCTIONS
After IUD insertion please take the following precautions:
- Nothing inside the vagina for 2-3 days, including tampons or intercourse
- Make a follow-up appointment for 4 weeks after IUD insertion.
As with other methods of birth control, it may take your body time to get used to your IUD. During the first 3-6 months after placement, you can expect some changes in your bleeding patterns, such as:
- Spotting or light bleeding in between periods
- Irregular periods
- Heavy bleeding or bleeding that lasts longer than your usual period
Other Side effects are common during the first three months after insertion. These changes are expected and should improve over time:
- Lower abdominal pain (cramping)
- Acne or other skin problems
- Back pain
- Breast tenderness
- Mood changes
After your IUD is placed, you should check the threads once a month. If you have trouble finding the threads, please call our office to make an appointment with a provider.
- The Mirena® IUD should be removed/replaced in 5 years.
- The Paraguard® IUD should be removed/replaced in 10 years.